Construction of Tung Chung West Station
The works of Tung Chung West section mainly include the construction of an approximately 1.3km westward extension from the existing railway tunnel of Tung Chung Station, and the construction of a new Tung Chung West Station near Yat Tung Estate, as well as the construction of an emergency egress point (EEP) at Shun Tung Road. The tunnel between the existing Tung Chung Station and the future Tung Chung West Station will be constructed by Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM). To facilitate the construction, the project team will set up a construction site for works including setting up a TBM launching shaft at the end of the existing Tung Chung Line tunnel, i.e., the public open space between the two phases of Tung Chung Crescent.
To minimise the works impacts on nearby residents, a noise enclosure will be installed first at the construction site for the TBM launching shaft (i.e., the public open space between the two phases of Tung Chung Crescent), the large-scale shaft excavation works will only commence after the installation of the noise enclosure.
# The station names are working titles only. All drawings and visuals are provided for concept illustration only, and the content is subject to change.
Prior to the commencement of construction works for the Tung Chung West Section Tunnel, a temporary noise enclosure will be erected at the works site between the two phases of Tung Chung Crescent, to minimise any impact of the works on the nearby residents. Construction of the temporary noise enclosure began in Q1 2024, noise mitigation measures are being implemented. The enclosure will also be beautified to blend in well with the surrounding environment. In addition, the contractor will construct slurry treatment facilities on the hillside along Shun Tung Road, the exterior of which will also be beautified to blend in well with the surrounding environment.
- Full noise enclosure (about 20m x 36m), about 15m high.
- Noise cover at ground level will deck over the underground area next to the temporary noise enclosure where the tunnel boring machine will be assembled, allowing the overall scale of the enclosure to be reduced compared with the original scheme before gazettal.
- By reducing the size and footprint of the temporary noise enclosure, both the construction time and the area and volume of soil to be excavated will be reduced, more desirable from an environmental perspective.
- The noise enclosure and the noise cover will be beautified to blend in well with the surroundings.
The Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM) are multi-functional construction tools for tunnel construction. A launching shaft and a retrieval shaft will be installed at the starting point at the destination respectively. The TBM are operated underground and reduce the excavation area above the ground, which bring minimal disruption to the surrounding environment, community and road transport.
Minimising the impacts on environment and community
Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM) are operated underground and reduce the excavation area above the ground, which bring minimal disruption to the environment, community and road transport.
Minimising project risks and enhancing works efficiency
Tunnel lining will be installed in parallel with the excavation works during the operation of the TBM. The tunnel lining can stabilise the rock layer and prevent any soil erosion, and minimise the impacts on nearby building structures.
The following works are being carried out for the Tung Chung West Section:
- Construction of site offices and setting up material storage areas
- Setting up construction monitoring points
- Conducting investigation and site clearance and formation works
- Constructing Tung Chung West Station diaphragm walls construction